Wednesday, January 19, 2011

NYC (2) Liberty & Ellis Island

Boxing day-Spend our day visiting NYC's Island!
Roy bought the tickets and yes! no need to queue yippee.
But security super duper tight. Airport like inspection! piang.
Luckily we went early :p


It's really very very cold. Kinda regretted not bringing the bulky Winter wear.






My hair very cui.

Boarding Miss New York to Liberty Island!










Miss Liberty from far. Weather's starting to get gloomy :(


Liberty-A gift from France to celebrate USA 100 years of Independence :p









But real glad to see the majestic Liberty so up close!





Why is the Statue green?
Interesting fact!


Then we hop over to Ellis Island! It's a place where immigrants from all over the world had to do health inspection, financial assessment etc; before they get into US itself.





So interesting! This view is the American flag.


Looks what happen when viewed on the right






The  luggage used in 1800s




Currencies!






Wheelchair! I know I know, Medical thingy always catch my attention :p





Read this!





See how kids all over the whole wore :)


Yes this belongs to the Chinese!


Okie this is interesting. I was snapping pics in the toilet and a woman came in. She was super shocked!
I mean, it's a toilet can use de. But when she saw me snapping, she tot it's one of the museum display. lol



Okie, rem we tot Miss New York to the island? The whole museum gotta close at 2 pm cos there's snow blizzard and they got to evacuate EVERYONE. So we were rushing to get into the last ride!
And know what Roy said? Eh you still remember the movie, Day after tomorrow? Only the VIP can get in first. I was like it's so scary liao you still add on! I so wanted to cry scared I will stuck and die in the island.




See how heavy the snow!





And we can still play! tsk tsk. Looking back, we should quickly go back! Cos the snow getting thicker and thicker!








Blizzard's real bad and by the time we reached NYC itself, we went to Korean town and decided to pack  dinner back to New Jersey's hotel and have it.
As mentioned, there's free shuttle from the NYC airport so we waited. And what a sight at the entrance!
Everyone was anxiously waiting for transport and none seems to come! Cos the snow's real bad and cars were trapped!
So we gotta quickly think of Plan B! We went to take a train and hurried our way to NJ Penn station since from there to our Hotel, its a 10-15mins drive.
So when we reached there! Gosh the chaos is the same!!!!!
Everyone was like on survivor!
So I told Roy let's take a cab! And when we went out of the station! OMG the snow's like spikes hitting on my face VERY PAINFUL arh!
We saw a cab and no cab wanna take us! All in a hurry to go home too!
Piang. But when Roy called the hotel again, lucky there's one last bus back so we waited but everyone crowd at the entrance no way we can see if the hotel's bus was here! So scary!!!!
Then Roy decided to squeeze thru the crowd and luckily some kind souls shouted:" Best Western! Best Western!" Wah Roy quickly grabbed my hands and run, squeezed pass pple like there's no tml! And when we got on the bus (one that allows 8 passengers) we felt so safe! And when I looked out of the window, I can see envy eyes! OMG it's like pple gonna trapped in the station and sleep there!
And so you tot we were safe?


NNNOOOOOO!
A 10-15mins drive became a torturing 6 hrs!
The bus was a rear wheel drive! Man! We kept getting stucked in the the snow and since the front wheels are not driving the force, there's no way the bus can push its way thru the thick snow!
Trust me, the snow's abt my knee length!
Imagine the wheels!
We were trapped in the middle of the highway and all the guys gotta go down and push the bus!
Lastly, all of us gotta to get down to help.
ANd to add matters worst, the fuel tank was running low! FML!!!!!!!
It's frigging cold and my legs were numb!
It's so cold that I kept nauseating when I went back to the seat!
Roy's so worried abt me lor! I tot I was gg to die. No joke!
Or even buried alive in the snow!
Luckily throughout the journey, some guys alight from their cars and helped to push.
And when we managed to escape from the highway, we passed by petrol station and all urged the bus driver to top up fuel in case it got stucked again! And really lor, it's another hr trapped on the road.


So heng, we managed to reach our hotel safely and I just hugged Roy!!!!
We quickly took shower and luckily Roy got Korean takeouts in his bag!
I can't imagine if there's no dinner!
After dinner, I am still super cold and had to hide under the blanket for the whole night!
In the news, New Jersey was declared in Emergency state! Advice was to stay in!
So we extended a night stay and trapped in the hotel the next whole day.


Roy decided to see if the hotel's cafe was open and wanted to get lunch but it's opened only for dinner. So he decided to dispense tibits from vending machine but all ran out!!!! Cos everyone was buying from there!


Luckily I brought along Peanut bars to beat hunger pangs and now it's good for a mini lunch.
And at 530 sharp, we went down to queue to buy dinner. Even the workers were stucked in snow and came late to work!
Luckily we were first 2 in the line and had our dinner just nice at 7pm!


What an experience rite? Now we're back and I am so glad Roy was with me when shit happens! lol


Okie, so we wasted a day and had to cancel Philly's plan. But never mind! As long as we are safe!!!!!

Souvenirs! These were some memorable Liberty bears I had!


Next up~
We escaped to Washington DC! At least it's not snowing!!!!

2 comments:

  1. ok i noe im abit late but i just read this post! i can totally imagine how i was trapped on the shaolin shi! omg u guys were so blessed ok..

    btw the white ear muffin thingy is u just bought ? Can buy one for me pls? i lost mine to duno which box/luggage or maybe in Shanghai!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jossie!
    Ear muffs is yours!
    Check your FB msg. I will get you a kate spade one okies? loves!

    ReplyDelete